Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Monday, February 2, 2015

February 2, 2015- We were born to lead. We were born for glory



Oi!! Tudo Bem?

This week was a really good one! Full of things I won´t quickly forget. 

First, we went to the temple with Joyce and Alexandre!! They have been working on their names for a little while and ended up doing the work for a list! It was incredible to be inside the temple all dressed in white. I just can´t wait to hear the exciting news exactly one year from now!! And, as luck would have it, the temple President was close by and so he spent a few minutes talking to them about the importance of the temple. He talked about all sorts of interesting symbolism. He said that like Jesus, the temple teaches us through parables. Meaning, that we can be looking at everything and end up seeing nothing. He gave a few examples including the fountain in the front. He likened it to the living water that Christ has to offer. The kind that will keep us satisfied forever if we let it. hmm interesting. I guess that is why we need to go often... to start to notice the hidden jewels. 

So remember Ivan? The darling old man who visited 3 months ago at our open house and has been coming ever since? The one who practically locked us in his house and stuffed us with food on Christmas Eve? The one who has a huge family? So he has had lots of difficulties with the word of wisdom. When we started teaching him he was smoking a box per day. (20 cigarettes) and drinking lots. But he has been working hard and this week he happily reported that he only smoked 4 the entire week and didn´t drink at all!! What progress. 
We had stake conference and he came to the adult session and the regular sunday meeting and loved every minute of it. In fact, he said that he liked the conference but felt like it went by way too fast for his liking. (pretty cool because by the end of the last dry talk everyone else was sleeping) I told him that I would be leaving and that maybe I would not be able to be at his baptism and he was furious. We told him that President makes the decisions and he marched right up and introduced himself after the meeting and told him that my presence at his baptism was importantíssimo. President made him the promise that if he can be baptized in the next two weeks I will be able to attend! So pray for him please :)

I had another interesting experience this week. So, that Maria- the one who had the incredible dream and seemed so eleita-- yeah she made her decision. She will stick with the church that screams and accept credit cards on your way in. I was pretty sad. About her and others too. Because after 3 transfers here in Cotia I have basically talked to everyone. And every time we go anywhere we run into at least one person that I taught. During my time here we found soo many amazing people who showed so much potential but ended up choosing another path. And this makes me sad. Real Sad. 

So when we were at the temple we ran into Sister Farfal. We talked for a few minutes and it was so good to see her one last time, but she asked if I was alright. That I look more solemn. Less excited. Just different. I thought a lot about this and ended up on my knees in the temple´s bathroom. I just needed to be alone to talk to my Heavenly Father. I expressed the sadness I feel for all these who I have grown to love and asked Him if I have really done everything in my power to help them. I felt a reassuring peace that, indeed, I did my part and I can go to Ferreia in peace. 
**On a side note, as I was kind of down, wondering if I am really making a difference here,  Sister Granados and I looked at the mission journal and were suprised to find out that we were the ``baptizing sisters´´ of the month. haha I thought there was a misprint!! I guess we always underestimate our own efforts as we compare our weaknesses with others´strengths. 

To end, I would like to share a Sherri Dew quote that I think is applicble to all, missionary or not, at one time or another.... ``There will be days when you feel defeated, exhausted, and plain old beat-up by life´s whiplash. People you love will dissapoint you--and you will dissapoint them. Some days it will feel as though the veil between heaven and earth is made of reinforced concrete.´´
But I guess in these moments we develop the internal force to keep going. Keep trying. Finish the race. At least these moments of spiritual growing pains have made all the difference for me. Because every day I am learning that ``when we have the power of God with us, we turly can do all things-including everything we were born to do. We were born to lead. We were born for glory.´´ (Sherri Dew BYU 2003)

So, love you all. Até mais!!

Sister Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment