Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Monday, February 10, 2014

WEEK #8- "Weekly goal of 140 contacts"

Hi family!! 

I hope you are doing well. I am very jealous of the Hawaii trip not exactly because of the weather because it is scorching here but more for the beauty and the ability you have to get in the water. We basically just soak in our sweat by the end of every day. They say it is the hottest summer Sao Paulo has seen in a long time. 

This week has been really good. I am learning a lot and contributing more in lessons. Also, this week I did the majority of the talking for our 140 contacts for practice. The hardest part for me right now is loosing the American accent. I try to sound like a native but my attempts are pretty fruitless. But people like to practice English with me and a lot of people think it is so chique that I am from America. So I guess my gringo talk has some benefits. 

One highlight of this week: I saw a teenage girl wearing an American flag shirt so I complimented it and told her that I am from Estados Unidos. Within maybe 20 seconds there were about 10 little girls crowded around. They giggled and lauged when I spoke both English and Portuguese. We used it as a teaching opportunity and taught all ten of them about the Plan of Salvation. Then we got a picture and they all wanted my autograph! One girl ran into her house and got a notebook and they all frantically ripped off corners of the page for me to sign. So dont be surprised if 10-15 Brasilero kids add me on facebook. We are teaching them all again next week! Oh and they asked if I have a brother so obviously I whipped out my photo book. I get more use from it than I even thought I could and I showed them the picture of John and me at the airport. They were thrilled. So... dear brother... your welcome. Your have your choice of about 10 girls between the ages of 3 and 15. I will send pictures. 

Oh and another highlight, as we were teaching another boy, about 16, came out and said that he was baptized a while back by Americanos but he fell away. He still has a testimony though so we are introducing him to a sharp kid in the ward that just came home from his mission and he and a friend are going to start going to seminary. 

We have lunch with the members every day and I love getting to know them! Their faith and kindness is truly inspiring. But one funny story: so we were at lunch with a very fancy woman named Nancy. She told me how she loves American sisters for lots of reasons but most of all, our teeth. She asked how I keep them white and I told her hydrogen poroxide but that I didnt bring it with me. She said, you better have your mom send some or your teeth will look like that and she pointed to the other American sister that lives in our house. Yikes. Brasileros are so kind but painfully honest. 

I am learning so much from the Book of Mormon every day! This week I read about Ammon. He is one good missionary. I taught our new little member Danilo about the importance of the Priesthood and used the story when Ammon cut off the arms. He thought it was funny. Our CTM president made us the promise that if we studied 30 minutes from the Book Of Mormon every day we could use the things we read that day, or the next day in our lessons and experiences. I have seen that to be true and I think the same can apply to you at home! There are so many lessons and so many stories!!

We have spend a lot of time with my president and his wife this week. She ADORES the necklace and they are so great. They truly care about us so much. 
And I played the piano yesterday for this huge institute meeting and I was so so scared. 

Love you all. Happy Valentines day! I am planning a party for my roommates but lets be honest, it will in no way compare to the red dinner we have every year at home. Oh and I have a package waiting at our district meeting tomorrow. Cant wait!

Love, Sister Lauren

Just a fun park we found today!


No comments:

Post a Comment