Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Monday, March 3, 2014

WEEk #11, First Baptism! (Carnival)

Bom Dia!
So first, Carnival is completely overrated. For the past 3 months I have heard of what a big deal carnival is and I am here to tell you that I dont notice much of a difference. Only more loud terrible music they call funky, cross dressing, grinding and drinking. All of which give me the creeps so needless to say I am sufficiently creeped out this week. And it also means an excuse for people to skip out on church so our congregration was at an all time low this week. Lame.
I have a theory that in order to serve someone, you should take some time to get to know them so I have been trying to observe the Brazillian people and I have come to a few conclusions. They really are quite simple. Two things, above all others make them happy: their bible, and their beer. As frequently as you might find Starbucks in New York City or a chapel in Alpine, you can always find two buildings on practically every street. A church, and a bar. Which means, people are incredibly receptive to mesages about Jesus Christ but it is sufficiently more difficult for people to understand the importance of, and commit to keeping the commandments. It is quite a struggle and I am learning so much about the reasons behind the word of wisdom. It is so hard for these people to break lifelong habits.
But in other news, I had my first baptism!! Douglas was baptized on Saturday and he seemed so happy! Further, our mission president and his wife came and the day really was perfect. And he now is preparing to serve a mission. To think that my testimony could have, in some small way, helped him form a testimony that he will share with many throughout his life is so touching! Definitely the fruit of a lot of labor. It is like a funnel here. We talk to so so many people. Some want to hear our message. Some of those take the message to heart and actually read the scriptures and pray about the things we are teaching. All of which recieve an answer but only some care enough to keep the commandments and be baptized. It is a lot of work and I constantly try to brainstorm ways we can be more efficient but in the end, we are helping people form personal relationships with their Savoir and I guess that is no easy task.
A question I get here, more than most, is why are you here in Brazil learning our language? Especially when they find out our work is voluntary people can not seem to grasp that I would want to leave our wonderful country to come preach about God and stuff. Usually I just say that I love our message, I believe in eternal families or something. But this week I had the opportunity to explain my reasoning in more detail, and solidify the reasoning behind my service a little more. I explained that I think of our pre earth life being a lot the same as now. We had hobbies and friends and things. And we at one time or another all recieved our assignments for this life. They probably did not come in big white envelopes but I believe we each recieved an area to live and a family to live with. And for whatever reason, happened to recieve a call that I am sure most of my other spiritual brothers and sisters would kill for. For whatever reason, I was born into an incredible, eternal family in an incredible nation. Further, I was raised on firm princles and morals and I learned early and often what was most important in life.
And now, I have the opportunity to give back. Because where much is given much is required. This is the way I can express my gratitude for my many blessings and try to help other people find the same direction, purpose and peace that I took for granted for so long. And Ill be the first to tell you, days are not always easy, but I truly feel like we are doing a lot of good here and I go to sleep feeling fulfilled but oh so so tired.
I think Marta and Marcos are getting baptized this Saturday! And the others are coming along too. Hope all is well. Thank you for the updates. I always love finding a piece of home waiting for me in my inbox every Monday!
Ate Mais!
Sister Lauren



p.s. Thank you for your emails and thank you so so much for the grandchildren letters and calandar. My calandar is hanging above my desk and I use it every day to write down my workouts and things! I have to keep my figure so that women like nancy dont start calling me gordinha. And remembering birthdays is so much easier.

But fancy nancy is a convert of 10 years. Im not really sure what her husband does but she doesnt work. She only studies for fun and she really is not very nice. However, she is an incredible cook, and in one of our lessons in the favelas she bore testimony that ultimately God doesnt care where we live or how much money we have. So I guess she can be humble at times.
The other day we were at her house and she caught a glimpse of her mom eating cake with a fork and chucked it in the sink proclaiming that in her house she would not permit people to use utensils wrong. haha I laugh every time I am with her.


gifts for valentines day

My package from home!

The Wedding

they are filling in as my temporary sisters and keeping me up to date on the real world

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, John Barclay here, one of your Fathers converts. It warms my heart to see this blog. And of course it makes me feel VERY OLD! My heart and prayers are with you on this important time in your life.

    ReplyDelete