Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Thursday, December 26, 2013

December 26th! (An unexpected surprise!!)

 Family,
I got my 7 days of Christmas and it was perfect. You are so thoughtful and perfect. Mom. I love you! But this week really has been great. I have made such good friends with everyone already. My companion is from England and she is really great. She has been here for two weeks now but she really struggles with the language so I have been able to help her a lot. I am actually really grateful for that because I am learning better by teaching and I love being able to serve her in some way. She hated her last companion and I was terrified of being with some weirdo so we express gratitude to eachother all the time.
My district is great too. A really great balance. Our district leader is named Elder Lene and he is sort of a clown. In fact, until he got his call he did not even know the meaning of the word study. However as soon as he got his calling he got a sudden rush of male dominence and tried to be incredibly bossy. However my companion and I kindly explained that he was merely to guide us if we needed direction. He apologized and his future wife with thank us I am sure.
Sundays are really great here! This sunday I got called to be the sister leader of all the sisters in my branch! That will be exciting. I want to welcome them in some cute way so I am trying to brainstorm. But Im honored to have that opportunity. I also got called to give am impromptu talk but I think it went alright! I can now pray and give my testimony in Portuguese and we have already taught lots of fake invstigators in Portuguese so that is pretty cool. Our lessons are sort of shaky but I am sure they will get better with time.
Last night Elder Bednar put on an INCREDIBLE devotional. It was interesting, he sent cell phones to the crowd and had everyone text him questions and then he answered them on the spot. I took copius notes but everything he said was very profound. In particular, he talked about the best kinds of missionaries he has every associated with. He said they all have one important quality, they are selfless. He said those who put aside their own wants or discomforts and focus on serving are the most successful. It is a good reminder that we only have a limited amount of time as designated missionaries and to make it count.
We get gym time every day and the Brazillians are fascinated by my work out routine. They occassionally borrow my jump rope and they think push ups and sit ups are comical. That book and my bands are great. Mom, it has been wonderful unpacking this week and finding how entirely prepared I am. I have everything I could need. In fact I made a list, the other day of all the things I need to buy on P day and when I oppened my presents you had gotten me everything already! So on top of it!.
But I am glad the fossils are back on their stomping ground and I am happy you guys had a good Christmas. My day was very different but also very special.
I love you guys very much!

Sister Lauren 

No comments:

Post a Comment