Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Week #1,



Hi family!

 I have exactly 15 minutes to write today so I hope I can get to your emails but it may not happen today. I will get to email again sometime this week though so it is okay. But MERRY CHRISTMAS or as we say here FELIZ NATAL I hope you have an incredible day. My day has definitely been different than anything I am used to but I have really loved it. Actually the whole week has been pretty good. I will tell you more about it later but I really like it here and I am learning a lot. I was actually way more prepared in every respect from the language to the discussions. I did not realize how good college would be for me but my mission prep classes and Portuguese classes have served me well and I don't feel inadequate in any way at the moment.

Anyway thank you so so so much for all the thought you put in to make my first week special. Mom, you never cease to amaze me. The tree hangs with pride in my room, I slept in my cozy pjs last night and my companion and I adored our gifts this morning. It is beautiful and wonderful here. I could definitely get used to stringing lights on palm trees. And everyone has really gone out of their way to make this holiday special for us. A few highlights include the big Christmas program we put on for the neighborhood on Sunday. Everyone from the community gathered around to listen to us sing. Let me emphasize that the Brazillians are TERRIBLE at singing. And the Americans are really bad at pronouncing Portuguese words. So I thought it was an interesting performance but our audience ate it up and the missionaries in the area got lots of referrals and the community responded really well.

Another highlight was an incredible Christmas devotional we had last night. The president and his wife put it on and it was very special. In particular his wife, Sister Degn gave a talk that I don't intend on forgetting anytime soon. She showed the video of Christ's birth from Mary's perspective and went on to tell of Mary's complete faith in her Heavenly Father and the plan regarding her precious son. She told about a time when she and her sons went to see Christ while he was teaching in the synagouges. Someone informed Him that his family was there to see him and he told his congregation something to the effect of ... right now you are my family. This touched me a lot as I thought of how much faith Mary exerted as she completed her earthly mission. She raised her little baby teaching Him all she deemed necessary and then let him go do the things he needed to do. She completed her mission with honor. Christ completed his mission with honor. And now I want to do the same. The mission is not always easy but I love the things I am learning here. And I am grateful that I am able to be a part of such an important work.

Love you guys. I will try to email soon.

Tchau,
Sister Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment