Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

WEEK# 5

Oi Familia!
Today is my last P day before the field and I am so so excited to leave! I love it here but it can get a bit mundane at times and I am excited to be a real missionary. But this week is a bit strange because I am companionless. My darling English companion left yesterday morning for the field and so for the next week I get an experience that I won't be getting again for 16.5 more months... my own space. After only five weeks it is already so strange to be alone. I am the only sister in my district, last night I was the only person in my room, and I can go anywhere I'd like at any time I'd like. It has its pros and cons. I didn't realize how much I loved my companion's company. It was so nice to always have someone to talk to, eat with etc. BUT everyone here is so sweet and I am making closer friends with all the other districts because they all feel bad that I am alone. Today on the bus a group of sisters from the hispanic district taught me how to do sign language to a Spanish hymn. I am learning all sorts of random things here!
Saying goodbye to my companion was sad because she is great and we became such close friends but I am happy/surprised to report that I have still not cried since being here at the CTM. It is sort of strange because I feel like everyone around me balling constantly for so many different reasons. Homesickness, spiritual moments, hard goodbyes etc. My theory is I cried such an uncharacteristic amount in the months before my mission that my tear ducts are completely dry. But I'll take it.
Today I just want to talk a little bit about spiritual gifts, in particular the gift of toungues. I am so grateful for this here. I am actually shocked at how much it is possible to learn in such a short period of time. I studied Spanish for years in high school and I can not remember a phrase of Spanish to save my life. I attempted a Portuguese class at BYU before my mission and learned NADA. But since being here I feel confident and prepared with the language. I have so much to learn but I can (in simple words) say most things that I need to and I can pray and bear my testimony in a whole different language. This allows me to communicate with so so many people that I never could a few short weeks ago. It is a testimony to me that when we are willing to put work in, we can do things that originally seem impossible.
Next time I write I will be out in the field. I will have a companion that will most likely not know English and I will be teaching lessons and having a real, unsheltered experience. I am nervous but so excited!
Love you all!

Sister Lauren

P.s.
Hey mom!  I got the pizza last week and it was sort of an early going away party for my companion. I got the envelopes and stamps too so thank you so much! And this is my last P day so I will make sure to pick up everything from Mr. Cheneys. That place seriously gets me through the weeks. My companion was great! I loved her a lot. But she really really struggled with the language so I am praying for her a lot because these next few months are going to be really difficult for her. But she is taking the necklace to Marsha. As far as I know Kennedy was suppossed to come today but she did not get a visa. I am bummed because I was craving a familiar face.
Oh for some reason my debit card is not working here. I will try again today but could you call the bank and see if they may have cancled it or something?

I don't really need anything but I wanted to buy some new pens and supplies at this store down the street. And maybe some more hangers for the field. But I have tons of cash so I'm not worried at all. I just wanted to make sure it is working for later on. And the pizza was incredible. We liked it so much that we kept it hidden and ate a piece for breakfast, and lunch the next day as well.

I miss you a lot but I appreciate all of your support. You are seriously the best missionary mom and all the other missionaries here, especially the Elders, are so jealous. 


No comments:

Post a Comment