Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

WEEK #4

Bom Dia!
This week has been quite incredible. Probably my favorite so far.
One highlight, as mentioned in the subject, occured when I put my hours at the gym to good use. There is a new Elder here who is pretty annoying and really most people can not stand him. He is always trying to let everyone around know how very proficient he is at speaking Portuguese and how well he does just about everything else. And actividade fisical is the WORST. He is so arrogant and he will tell anyone around that he has survived some boot camp at BYU Idaho for the last five years and he never ceases to remind us that this decathalon thing is a huge deal. Anyway, long story short the other day I was doing my typical fitness stuff and talking to the instructors during gym time and he came up and declared that he could show me up in anything. So... we started with situps. He did 30 I did 40, he did 60 so I did 61. Then we did wall squats and he collapsed after a few short minutes and I become the new CTM fitness hero. Everyone is thrilled because he hasn't been quite as rude since. So tell my ivory teacher, Lisa, thank you for me.
Another favorite of the week was proslyting. Ah this was so incredible, and not just because we got to spend time outside of the CTM for a few hours. Each companionship had the challenge to hand out 6 copies of the Book of Mormon but we ended up handing out seven. Basically everyone we talked to was so receptive to our message and they took the books with open arms. I had two favorite experiences with this though. One woman and her son were walking and we put a little more emphasis on how the gospel blesses families. I could see the love she had for her son and it is neat to think that the gospel could help a good mom to become an even better one because of the peace and happiness the gospel is designed to bring.
Towards the end of the day we took on an extra book because some Elders in our district were not having a lot of success. And of all the tender mercies, we ran into a Brazillian who speaks perfect English and wanted to hear our meassage in hour native tounge. He was confused and honored that we had left our homes, families, and everything we loved to come to Brazil and learn Portuguese only to teach the things we believed. Further, he could not fathom that we had a free book for him and that we wanted to spend time talking to him of all the many people in Brazil. I told him how a few years ago I got an opportunity to serve in leprosy colonies in India and help people who were suffering with physical ailments. I went on to tell him that I decided to go on a mission because I believe that we all suffer from spiritual ailments as well-- we want so badly to know why we are here and where we are going. I told him how I love this gospel so much to want to share it with the people of Brazil because through its teachings, I have found a purpose along with true joy. He said-- I definitely suffer. This book could be really good for me. Do you guys have a church I can go to as well?
I just can't wait to be having these experiences much more frequently in 2 WEEKS!!
Lastly, I want to say congratulations for your new goal to read the scriptures more often as a family. My hour of morning study has become one of my favorite parts of the day since being here. I know life gets so busy but stick to it. This week we have taught a lot of lessons but there was one, in particular that I won't forget soon. I started off by prophessing that the gospel blesses families and I showed the Christmas card picture of us with a Brazil flag and a Book of Mormon. I talked about how I love my family so much but I left them because I want to bring other families the same joy that I feel because of the truths I have been taught as a child. Then my campanion went on to teach about the Book of Mormon and she started sobbing. After she explained that as she thought of her family she could not help but think that around the time we were teaching they were probably back home gathering in the living room to study together. She gave a powerful testimony of how she knows, without a doubt, that the gospel blesses families because of the time they have spent together studying and praying.
Don't resist the temptation to stop reading at the Isaiah chapters because I promise they come to an end. Keep reading into the war chapters. And take notes as to how to prepare for the spiritual war that is ahead. Get to where Christ ministers to the people, particularly the children, one-by-one. And don't stop reading until you get to Moroni's promise and then take the time to pray for a spiritual witness as a family and by yourselves.
Because a testimony, like anything worth obtaining really, is dynamic. It can grow or diminsh daily based on what we do to keep it alive. The two activities I have missed the very most since being here are skiing and playing the paino. While I am definitely no where near perfection at either of these, I have gotten to the point where I enjoy them a lot. However, this did not come without coutless hours of hard work and dedication. Likewise, we can not expect to have a personal relationship with our Heavenly Father or understand and apply the scriptures, or be completely in tune with the Spirit at all times if we are not willing to make these things a priority in our lives.
Love you all!

Sister Neeleman (or I guess Lauren. I got my new badge!)

P.S.
Hey mom! Yes four weeks today! Things are getting better and better here. We actually have so much fun and I continue to learn so much! We have speakers every Tuesday and Sunday and sometimes they are awesome. Other times they are not very great but Ron and my mission president haven't come and probably won't.
But last week at the temple we ran into some missionaries from my mission and they said my president is so incredible. They said he is chill and loving. One problem... he does not know a single word of English. Yikes. However, I am learning a lot and I will practice some phrases and I am not so worried. Also, my companion is leaving a week before me so I may be going with a Braziallian district because I am further along in the language than the rest of my district or I guess no any American at the CTM.  In which case, I would only be with Brasileros and we would teach lessons all day every day. It would be difficult but ultimately beneficial.
Our daily schedule goes as follows.. Four hours of studying and teaching lessons, lunch, another four hours of studing and teaching lessons, dinner more lessons, exercise or devotional, planning, bed. Pretty repetitive but we have fun as we go. And no yoga classes. However, I have started doing yoga in my dorm at nights because I am always so sore from sitting all day.
Today my companion and I did initiatories in the temple instead of endowments and it was so much better! Such a great day! Hope you are doing well. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment