Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Monday, July 7, 2014

July 7, 2014- I believe in Miracles!

Hello Family!!! 

I will admit that this week was a little harder than usual to be away with two birthdays and one of the best holidays ever celebrated. Butttt next year we need to plan something excellent to make up for lost time. 
JD--HAPPY 13th to my very favorite new teenager. How handsome and grown up are you looking these days! This year I miss our adventures and inside jokes. I miss hearing the 6th grade drama and watching you play your heart out in whatever sport you happen to be playing. You are such a stud. 
KATIE-- Who needs a best friend when I have a sister like you. Dependable and strong. So organized. You win the award for writing me all the time just to tell me the happenings. Thank you for teaching me constantly, usually through your example. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I am the older sister because I have so much to learn from you. I cant wait to just laugh and laugh, stay up late talking and have secret dessert dates again. 

AMERICA-- I miss ya. a lot. Brazil is great and all but no other country in the world will ever take your place in my heart. Costco, fireworks, parades, mountains, national parks, autumn, winter, spring, summer, smores, Boston, San Diego, Washington DC. There is a reason that everyone here sports the stars and stripes on T-shirts, flip flops, phone cases, sun glasses. And the constant reminders always make me very proud and a little sad. But, America, my darling, I will be back in a short 11. 

Butttt absence makes the heart grow stronger so it´s all good!

Tributes aside, this week was incredible and oh so full of miracles! GABRIELA WAS BAPTIZED!! And it was oh so beautiful! We spent lots of time with her to firm up her decision to be baptized and make sure she did not chicken out. On friday we had a marathon day with her. We watched the futebol game annddd CHARLYY!! President gave us permisison, reasoning that anything goes to make a baptism happen. Yep that´s right, my first movie in almost 7 months aned it was so so good. Sister Farfal and I were laughed and cried and basically loved our lives for the whole hour and a half. Halfway through the movie we realized that we were definitely enjoying it way more than her. We missionaries are strange creatures. 
And then, guess who made a visit.... Gabriela´s new boyfriend. Yeah I was a little shocked too because they only met a few weeks ago at church and he snatched her up in 2 seconds flat. But he is a pretty good guy. Returned missionary, successful, and temple marriage matieral. They are very found of eachother and he is basically the very best follow up we could dream of. 

And, Gabriela´s very Jewish, very closed off mom even came to the baptism. She came all gussied up and was just happy that Gabriela was happy. Ahh Gabriela just gloweeddd! 

But the miracles dont stop here! 

Last week we met a 14 year old boy named Victor. his mom was baptized some time ago but he never had much contact with the church. But we taught him this week and he expressed his desire to be baptized. We marked him for baptism for next weekend but we realized that with transfers we probably would not be working in two wards for long. Yeahhh no way we were going to give that sort of wrapped and ready present to the Elders!  So we challeged him to be baptized on Saturday with Gabriela. And, he accepted! He too, was so so happy and so excited about this new journey he is beginning. 

Remember the family I talked about a few weeks ago.. Three little girls a great mom and Japonese dad. We were so so excited about this. And then, for about two weeks we tried to find them at home after our second lesson without success. So... the member who gave us the referral thought we may have offended them and told us not to come back until she figured out what was happening. So we waited and waitied. And after about a month we totally lost hope. Then we were eating lunch and we recieved a call from no other than the mom, Wendy!! She asked us why we had not visited her for so long and asked if we could come by that very minute. Yes maám! So we visited and she explained that she and her daughters were looking for a movie to watch and they found The Other Side of Heaven. They did not know but it turned out to be a movie about Mormon missionaries. Sooo they missed us and looked everywhere for our number and called us right up. What!? This never happens! This family is very special and we are so excited. We have to be sensitive with her husband but I learned this week that when someone is prepared for this message nothing can stop them from learning. When we put our faith in Heavenly Father, he will always prepare a way. 

And this just in, I will be staying in Vila Sonia for at least another 6 weeks! Yay!! I love the members and we always have so many miracles here! Have a great week! Enjoy the pool, sun, and relaxation. Lucky ducks. 

Com amor, 


Sister Lauren

P.S. ohh also, I was thinking that summer clothes are about to go on sale there. And I am in desperate need. Turns out Brazil does not really have a winter because it is still blazing hot here and I am starting to feel like I wake up every morning and put on my uniform. haha. I will probably end up putting together a box of winter clothes to send home with David. But if you find some light, flowy shirts and skirts I would just be so happy. I love the navy one from the loft and my floral skirts, and white light weight shirts. I know it is boring and totally sister missionary but we die of heat! 


Hi mom!! thanks for your letter!! I got your other in the mail too so thank you! And I did get the package with the bags for the other girls. I was just waiting for the mission office to move to my area to deliver them. But now that the office moved I will drop off the packages tomorrow and I am sure the other sister will just adore them! It was such a wonderful idea!  And I am still in this area until at least middle of August! Sooo I will definitely visit Seth! I will bring a treat or something as soon as I find out when his P day will be. Ahhh it will be so great!! Have a great week with little Jess!


Love you! I am excited for my red white and blue package!! 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment