Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 29, 2014- I hate Changes!

Hi family! 

I dont know how much time I will have to write... Long story short, President is guarding the mountain of my and my new companions suitcases and belongings outside of our new house, waiting for the keys, so that we have an opportunity to talk to you guys real quick. 

So... I have been transfered. Two Americans arrived after waiting in America for 1 YEAR for visas. Sooo President transfered me to a new area called Educandario. Sister Farfal and I are shattered. You see, we have lived in the same house for about 5 months and we have been companions for quite some time too. I hate this whole goodbye thing. I thought after saying goodbye to my family, I would be home-free for a while. Oh how wrong I was!! It gets harder every time but I truly feel like I left a part of my heart in Vila Sonia. OUCH. 

But my new companion seems really great. She is American so we already have sooo much common ground. Even though she has already served for a year, she will need help with the language and I hope I can be of assistance. Also, we are opening this area.... I am actually terrifed. I have never done this before, but wish me luck. It will be an adventure at least. 

But, this week (except for the transfer) was so incredible. Last week we were a little bit bummed because the family we have been teaching for quite some time (Wendy, Eduarda and Marcela) did not come to church last week and Eduarda seemed to be backing out of the decision to be baptized. We were confused and a little sad because she initically showed more interest than the rest of her family and already seemed totally involved in young womens and everything. Soo... we were a little desperate for help and we decided to use our new favorite tool: fasting. A few weeks  ago when we had a similiar problem with Gabriela Sister Farfal proposed the fasting idea. I was a little reluctant because fasting is 10x harder here with all the hills we climb and walking we do. 

I asked if fasting was entirely necessary. My argument was this: I mean, we are doing good things and helping lots of people. Our desires are righteous, so I think that a deep, meaningful prayer should be sufficient this time, right? It was then that my comp taught me an important lesson about fasting. When we make large and sometimes pretty discomfortable sacrifices we show God that we love and trust him. We show that we are doing our part and in return we can expect to see miracles in our lives. Sooo I trusted her and we fasted. And, truly, I saw a miracle. Gabriella was baptized and is so so happy now! (SHES GETTING MARRIED TO AN RM!!!!) 

And this week we had another large and very blatant miracle! Right after we began we visited Wendy and fam Eduarda had a complete change of heart! And she and Marcela were baptized and it was almost picture perfect. Almost because Wendy did not quite make it in to the font. Actually, she sobbed the whole meeting and wants to be baptized more than anything. She is just waiting on the approval of her stubborn Japonese husband. Yesterday we visited then and when we walked in Eduarda threw her arms around us and exclaimed ``I am now a Mormon!!!´´ It is just a matter of time before we have the whole family.

Oh funny story.. Remember the annoying African kid named Ademola that we have been teaching. The one who has now been the most frequent attender of the Vila Sonia ward for over 7 months? (we are just waiting on a signature to seal the deal) Well he has been begging us to let him teach with us for quite some time and finally this week we caved. And it was HILARIOUS. First we visited Silvio. Let the interrogating begin... ``you smoke?´´ no. ``you drink´´ no. ``you like black coffee?´´ (he was confusing black tea and coffee) no. ``so... WHY have you not been baptized. WHAT are you waiting on? This church is the very best decision you could ever make!´´
Then, we visited a recent convert named Marcelo. ``How old are you´´ 22. ``Do you have a job´´ No. ``Who do you live her with´´ my mom. ``You are 22, dont work and still live with your mom!! You have got to grow up! You cant rely on your mom for forever!!´´ Soo... let´s just say that we were basically rolling on the ground at this point. Nothing beats getting lectures from an 8-year old. 

Well, I am here in this new area totally heart broken. I wont be able to visit Seth at the temple andddd it is going to be a little more tricky for Katie to make a surprise visit. We dont have walmart, the temple, cobblestones, trees, Panda Express, Sushi, and you should see the grafiti. But it is all good. I will survive. 

Love you all! 


Sister Lauren

Farewell! Sister Farfal
Waiting while the President gets the key to our apartment!



No comments:

Post a Comment