Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Monday, August 18, 2014

August 18, 2014- 8 months!!! Sushi and a Baptism-ONE HAPPY GIRL!

Hi family!! 

I am here in the depths of Sao Paulo working hard. Yeah Ness count your lucky starts that you have the beach near by. And just know that life is so very different here. But actually, the grafiti that used to scare me is actually a pretty good road marker. Because aside from the spray paint, all the streets look practically idential. 

The highlight of the week was Miguel´s baptism. Seriously, it was so cool. I dont know if you will even remember him because we found him 5 months ago! But he was seriously so ready. His questions and insights were incredible. We had lots and lots of deep discussions about the gospel and I was so so impressed with his prepardness. Actually, I taught him with threedifferent companions. So when he dropped us unexpectedly I was so so sad! I started to make a list of ``hopefuls.´´ People that I prayed for and crossed my fingers would show up at church. One day Sister Farfal saw my list and said ``you´re crazy! there is no hope with Miguel. Just give up already!´´ But guess what?!! He came around!! And president gave me permission to go to the baptism! He looked so happy! So special! 

Also, Edmilson is all set to be baptized this weekend!! He is super excited. Reading the Liahona, the book of Mormon, and now the gospel principles book every day. He still has to completely stop smoking, but I am hoping the baptismal interview on Wednesday will help out with that. He is down to 5 a day but now we just got to get to zero. He came to church, alone, again! And he even asked for pass-a-long cards to give to his family and friends at work. He is really great!

We are teaching a few families but they did not come to church yesterday because the morning was a little bit cold. Yeah lame excuse I know... 

Oh buttt cool experience... we have these neighbors that live in front of us. The wife was baptized a little while ago but the husband does not really want anything to do with the church. But he likes us missionaries. A lot. He found out that we like sushi so he invited us over last night and made a hugggeee sushi feast for us. Seriously, it was incredible and so touching. Especially because members generally dont show the same kind of love and compassion that he showed as he delicately cut a mountain of fresh salmon for us. After we ate he asked us... ``you girls are young and have soo many options at this point. why in the world are you here in Brazil doing this.´´ He went on to talk about all the other religions in the world and how none of them send their young kids out to do what we do. We explained a little bit of doctrine and things but I could tell he was not satisfied with the response. So finally I said... ``I dont know all the reasons why we are here. It is definitely not a dream I always had. But I cant put into words or express my gratitude adequately for the gospel. I can only try to help others feel the same why I do.´´ He could not argue. After we sang Im trying to be like Jesus in English and Portuguese. He began to cry so I guess he was sufficiently touched. Yes, it worked. 

But have a great week. Love you and miss you all. Lots. 


Sister Lauren

p.s.
half way!? crazy! some days I never want to come home. A lot of this week I spent counting the days. But I guess that is how life is right? Oh I got my 8 month package this week! the one you sent in the mail. thank you. 


Sister Wood. my companion. She is actually really great. She is picking up Portuguese so freaking fast. She has a natural gift to speak the accent so well. It is actually kind of annoying because I have worked so hard for 8 months and she has been teaching in English! But maybe the gift of tounges in proportional to the time you have in the field or something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment