Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Monday, June 23, 2014

June 23, 2014 - Cold Showers

Hi family,
I dont have much time today so forgive me for the incredibly short email.
I am happy. World cup has presented a little bit of a challenge in that it is incredibly difficult to find our investigators at home or willing to accept a visit. Butttt only an opportunity, really, to visit new members and less actives. The members in our ward are incredible, and for them alone I would be happy to stay here in Vila Sonia for forever.
A few more Brazillian/missionary adventures coming your way... So it is common knowledge that missionaries generally dont live in Ritz Carelton standard housing. And when I arrived Campo Limpo almost 6 months ago I did not know how I would survive with the not-so-great living conditions. Untilll my first visit to the favelas. I came home feeling incredibly grateful and incredibly humbled. Since then I forgot that we live in a total dive. But this week I remembered. Because we lost all of our hot water and gas. So no hot showers or stove/oven access. After a week of this, we mentioned our sad situation to a great member family. (the one that sent you an email mom!) She too has a missionary son so she offered to help us out. She and her husband came in to our apartment and almost died. Not that it was messy because we did a speed through clean up, but just because it is dumpy. She was horrified as she thought of her missionary. I thought the whole situation was quite hilarious. But at least we have hot (or in reality luke cold) water and we finally cracked and bought new gas. Turns out our gas cap had a leak and we have probably been inhaling dangerous fumes for weeks. yikes.
We have been teaching who and when we can. In addition, we are helping out with a neighboring ward as Sister Garcia left leaivng the area high and dry. chato. But it is okay because we have a miracle/present from God investigator as a result... Gabriella. I honestly love this woman. She is 34, recently divorced and having health issues. She has a beautiful, full of life 4-year old named Sofia. She is funny, smart and receptive. Honestly the highlight of my days. I love that we have the chance to bring some light into her life during these difficult times for her. If all goes as planned her baptism will be this weekend!!! Please pray everything goes right. I cant let this one slip through our hands! And Satan is often tricky at this stage of the game.
But love you lots!
Have a great week.

Sister Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment