Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Monday, June 16, 2014

June 16- Copa do Mundo Madness- 6 months today!

Hello al!! 

I survived my first week of a Brazilian World Cup!! Definitely an adventure!! President actually gave us permission to watch the first game and I learned what I already knew... Soccer is number one prioirity here. Every restaurant and store proudly sports the flag and the streets are all sorts of painted and decorated. And... okay embarrassing detail... I am now a collector. Here soccer sticker albums are very popular, especially among 8-14 year old boys. But my bishop in Campo Limpo gave me one as an Easter present soo basically I had no choice but to start finding stickers to fill it! My native companions think my dedication to my album is amusing. But in my defense, I am learning all the Portuguese names for different countries anndd I have a conversation starter with the boys trading cards in the streets. So during the game, I poured over my album and traded cards with the kids. And I met a few English speakers in the streets this week and I really, really struggled to speak correrently. Actually, I saw my friends from the CTM who are teaching an English class here and they invited me to visit and relearn the basics. You may say that I am almost a native ;) just kidding.

But the World cup party was crazy!! Actually we spent time at two different parties. At the first we painted our faces, green and yellow of course, and ate feijoada. At the second we ate pao de quejos and yelled at the TV. (Actually, we watched the family yell at the TV. I am not that much of a fan yet.) I am learning how popular we are as missionaries. It is actually an honor that I may never have again but we are always busy and we get invites for all the surrounding parties. I still can not figure out exactly why because we cant even listen to music or watch TV. We have no idea what is going on in the cyber world or entertainment but everyone wants us to grace them with our presence merely because of our badges! 

But there is definitely a down side to World Cup. It just got 25 times more difficult to find our investigators at home and willing to listen to a message about Jesus. Danget. But we will keep trying. Because there is lots of work to be done. Whether these Brazilians want to listen to our message or not. 

One story in particular will be my motivation for this week... We met a woman on the street and quickly learned that she was worried about an eye surgery she would be having the next day. In typical missionary fashion we offered to say a prayer with her. Soon she was spilling her guts. She began sobbing and told us of her biggest regret in life. Seven years ago her son met the missionaries. He quickly learned that he wanted desperately to be baptized but his mom, this woman, said no. Soon after he began hanging out with the wrong crowd. He started listening to bad music, he started drinking, and now as a 19 year old man his life is very different than he or his mom envisioned. His mom also carefully observed, over the years, the other kids on the street. She realized that the ones who turned out the best were the ones who kept the church first priority. She wishes, more than anything that she could turn back time and do things over but it is just so much harder now. 
John Greenleaf Whittier: “Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been!

So my reminder this week... Our actions have consequences. And because of the plan of salvation, the people will love so dearly, our family members, also suffer the consequences or the blessings of our actions. So be smart. And prayerful. And thoughtful. And just don´t do anything too stupid. 

I love you. I am praying for your safety and happiness every day. And working hard to live up to your trust. 

xoxo


your missionary, Sister Lauren

p.s. I entered a mall today for the first time in 6 months!!! haha my companion and  were so gitty!! I completely forgot my love for fashion here in Brazil as a missionary where comfort and ease are my top priorties. But I thought of you, my fashionista mom! You and Katie will have to teach me what is in style when I get home

tomorrow is P day because we are going to the temple. But tomorrow Brazil is playing again. And when Brazil plays, the entire country closes down. I am not exaggerating in the slightest. So if we waited until tomorrow we would not be able to use the computers. And this morning we had our regular district meeting and then an appointment







No comments:

Post a Comment