Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Monday, June 9, 2014

June 9, 2014- Sol milagres

This week was awesome!!! Full of miracles and I don´t even know where to begin! First, I can continue here in Vilia Sonia!! Crazy Sister G tried another week out, changing her mind every five minutes whether to stay or go but she is officially gone and another sister from our house, Sister Farfal is serving with me now! She is from Chile. Really smart and a great missionary and we work well together. 

First off... remember when President Monson said that now is the time for missionaries and members to work in unison to bring salvation to more children of our Heavenly Father? Yeah members are doing that here and I am here to tell you it is working!!! I am a firm believer in creating a lot of trust with the members. Short visits and lots of spiritual thoughts. I learned here how important it is to gain the respect and love of the members and I think we have officially won their hearts because I feel like they have started pouring out the names of their friends and neighbors!! and I am not complaining!

First, a young girl from our ward, Sarah brought her friend, Eduarda, to the cultural activity last week and she absolutely adored it! So she came to church Sunday. We visited her whole family this week and we marked Eduarda, her mom, Wendy, and her little sister, Marcela, for baptism. The dad is Japanese or ´´ching-a-ling´´ as Sister Dantas would say and he seems a little more reserved to religion, but I have a really great feeling about this family. Wendy only wants to do what she believes is right for her family and I know the Gospel will only bless their lives and fortify their family. 

Two little boys, who actually are not even members yet, decided to work with us Sunday. During the pouring rain and freezing cold they introduced us to seventeen neighbors!! They passed out pass along cards and did not complain even once about the weather! Cute little boys!

Then, two recent converts, 15 year old boys, introduced me to their friend Hercules at church. They said ``here is our friend. He needs our message. Come teach him 7:00 at our house.´´ You best believe I jotted down that appointment real quick. 

Then we were walking and decided to talk to a woman (not to strange since we try to talk to everyone.) But when we introduced ourselves her face lit up. She told us that she went to church a few weeks ago with a friend and absolutely adored her experience. She asked for our number from the member friend and was planning to call us but we beat her to it! Some call it luck! I think it is a blessing. But she lives in the ritziest part of our area. Apartaments that we can not enter with out an invitation. So you see, the only way to reach and so many others like her is with the help of members. 

Then the other missionaries in our district called with a name and number and only ordered that we visit immediately. We did, the very next day. And when we knocked at the door, the dad of this family, Eduardo answered and asked why we waited so long! He could not wait to hear more so we marked a time when we can visit his whole family together. 

All these stories, and I am sure others I am forgetting, all happened because members decided to open their mouthes and share the things of their hearts with people around them!! Be inspired. We missionaries need you normal people that can listen to regular music and wear jeans. When you share your testimonies in our lessons it makes all the difference!


Anyway, remember the Bolivian, Miguel? We have been teaching him for a little while now. He initially found our church years ago from a member friend but they went their separate ways. Miguel lived years in the world doing a lot of things contrary to the commandments. And finally, he realized that he was not happy. So when we found him on the streets he accepted our message with open arms. He especially likes that we have rules and structure in our church because he said that is exactly what he needs right now. Buttt finally after weeks and weeks he came to church yesterday for the first time! He already came to a baptism and two FHEs but I think he was scared to come to church because he did not know what to expect. But, Sunday morning he called us and informed us that he would be there! He adored it! After we had a lesson on the temple grounds and all systems are a go for his baptism on he 21st. He works 24-7 at this Bolivian clothing factory so if you need to find us for any reason, it is safe to say we might be there. sol acomapnhamento now

On a funny note.. I dont know if I have mentioned the demon African children we teach? They absolutely love church but they have no recognition of the words ´reverent´or obedient. In fact, Sister Garcia started bawling during a lesson because she could not handle the chaos. But anyway, Saturday night was the straw that broke this camel´s back.... The 8-yr old Ademole was especially monstrous. He pulled my hair, threw my shoes in the street, stole my camera, rummaged through my bag, crushed a flower I had picked and finally when he hit my head I lost it. Here in the middle of the street I said, very firmly I might add... ´´Ademole stop. We are representatives of Jesus Christ and you have absolutely no respect for us or for our calling. You do not know what it means to be obedient and until you learn we will not return.´´ The sibs can testify that when I get mad... I am mad. My companion was shocked. But it may have helped because he was not quite so horrific Sunday and he actually even apologized. Let´s just say that patience is a virtue I am still trying to develop. 

Anyway, here are just a few of the happenings. But just know, that I am so so happy. I am seeing miracles and witnessing the lives of so many begin to change. So many times this week as I was walking I just could not help but pinch myself as I thought of how lucky/blessed I am. People to teach, things to do, lives to change. Life is good. 

xoxoxo
Sister Lauren

Tribute to Dad;
I was planning to include my tribute to dad in the other email but it was already so so long and you were probably already snoozing.  But as Fathers day is coming up, I thought it only fair to send a shout out to the man I love more than any other. My hero and one of my very best friends. my dad

I read and reread a talk from Elain S. Dalton that I think exhibits, exactly why I love my dad called ``love her mother.´´And lots of my thoughts today are actually from that talk. But as I tried to make a list of lessons I have learned from my dad so so many came to mind...

--Your atitude determines your altitude
--Dream big and then work really hard to make your dreams a reality
--Every human being deserves dignity and respect
--Service heals the soul
--Learning is a process that should continue throughout life: Books contain an unending wealth of knowledge
--life is short and time is precious: Take time to smell the roses and enjoy each and every moment
--wherever you are in the world, and whatever you are doing, make church a priority every Sunday
--Do lots or HARD things

As I was reading about Moroni this week I thought about my dad who is also ´´a strong and mighty man. A man of perfect understanding. and a man who lives firm in the faith of his salvador Jesus Christ.´´

 I remembered a a time when we were treading snow, probably to sled. And dad told me ``just walk behind me. Follow exactly my footsteps and your feet will stay safe and unburried.´´ Since that moment I have tried to follow in your footsteps as closely as possible. It is definitely a challenge at times not only because you wear a size 15 but also because you are an incredible person and do so much good. But I will continue to try because you are my hero. 

Dad, thank you for loving my mom. By the way you love her you teach me about tenderness, loyalty, respect, compassion and devotion. You teach my what to expect and what to seek for in a future spouse. By the way you love and honor mom, you teach me that I should never settle for less. And dad, thank you for exemplifying charity in all that you do. I know that I am a daughter of a loving heavenly father because of the things I have learned from you, my earthly father. 


Happy Fathers day week to my excellent dady and to all the fathers of the world who treat their wives and children with respect and devotion. Righteous, strong, good fathers are hard to find but an inspiration to the world.


P.S. keep the letters coming. The Elders have only half kiddingly decided to devote a separate mailbox just for me! I am grateful for your support and your prayers.

p.s.s I got my face medicine! Turns out that Paulinho is great friends with one of my favorite families in the ward! So he dropped the package off there. Sister Garcia finally went home today and I think even our President was singing Hallelujah. She is seriously terrible. And the members and investigators were so happy to see her go!

Zone Conference!







Missão São Paulo Oeste added 100 new photos to the albumMultizona Junho/2014.
13 hrs · 
Aqui comemoramos os aniversariantes do trimestre.
"Here commemorating the anniversary of one trimester"- 6 months down~

Missão São Paulo Oeste's photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment