Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Monday, October 27, 2014

October 27, 2014-It's a Wonderful ride!

Hi Family!

It was a good but very long week. We worked hard! My throbbing feet and eyes that simply won´t stay open are proof of this!  But today we have a chance to rest and get all ready for another work-filled week. What a blessing! 

We worked so hard to find new people and commit the ones we have to baptism. We ended up creating goals for baptism with 11 people this week! Our chapel is still being remodled so we promised them a ride to the stake center with members. Yeahh not a good idea. We basically called the ward list and it was like pulling teeth. The problem is, sometimes it is hard for people to remember that we neeed the help of members here or we simply can´t do anything... or antyhing of lasting value at least. But then again members probably say that the problem with us missionaries is that we forget that they have actual very busy lives. I guess we can all be a little more helpful and understanding. 

That being said, we met a woman who is not of our faith (or any established religion actually) but oh so very Christian. In our first contact in the streets, she asked us to visit her, told us she would love to know more about the church and even offered us a ride! When we stopped by her house, she was trying to get ready and was in a super time crunch but invited us in, and in the 5 minues we spend with heroffered us juice, cake, marked a visit with us for another day and invited us to dinner! Then she explained she was running out the door to give a ride to a pastora from another faith that she met in the streets! I was humbled to think that this wonderful woman, Ana Lúcia truly enderstands the invitation to go about doing good. She radiates peace and happiness and reminds me that there are still wonderful people in the world. I am already so excited to go back and continue to learn from her loving example. I hope we can teach her something as well! 

This week we got the opportunity to work at our little ``temple square´´ talking to people and trying to show off the crown jewel of our church with anyone and everyone who would listen. We get lots of referrals and taught a few lessons in the temple. We met a man from Vila Sonia and talked a little bit about our church. He loved the peace he felt there and even acceped the challenge to be baptized! Pretty cool. 

Also, I had the priviledge to see a few of my very favorite irmãs from Vila Sonia: Raquel, Larissa and Zuleika! It was so so wonderful to see them! Raquel brought some halloween treats and took us to a cute little bakery near by for lunch! Zuleika and Larissa brought some incredible (just like home!!) cupcakes and a bag filled with other goodies-- lays, oreos, apples, ceral bars etc. It was so wonderful to see them and to spend a minute or two reminiscing about the many blessings I have recieved here in Brazil in the form of people. I am learning a much broader and deeper meaning of the word family and I am excited to continue to apply the things I learn here, principally how to love and be loved, for the rest of my life. 

Speaking of, this week I had a really special interview with president. We reflected a little bit on the mission experience and he asked me a profound question... ``do you think that you could have had the same kind of experiences at home or grown in the same ways at home?`` I thought about the people I have met here: investigators, members, companions. I thought about the opportunity I have had to make a lasting impact in lives and families, and also I thought about the differences I have seen and felt in myself in this short time.
 I won´t lie and say that it is easy to leave home or work every single day doing the same kind of things. It is not simply a foreign vacation. Or a blissful fairytale as some missionary letters would imply. but a mission is the best choice I have ever made. I am grateful for every experience and every precious son or daughter of Heavenly Father that I have been able to meet, teach and learn from. 

It is a wonderful ride. 

Have a great week! Make good use of your time, whatever you may be doing. Time is the greatest gift we have!


Sister Lauren



No comments:

Post a Comment