Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Monday, May 26, 2014

May 26, 2014- Rotten eggs and no police-less for a day. Welcome to São Paulo!

The week was great! It went by so quickly! Speaking of quickly... this transfer is already! It was such a great transfer here in Vila Sonia and I leaned so much!! And big news... I am going to be a TRAINER!! President called yesterday and all I could say was ``pobrezinha! ´´ I still have so much to learn! But I guess we will just have to learn together! You best believe I read my two ``open when´´ letters from mom and dad and I loved the advice. Thanks for thinking ahead!

So remember last week and the patience I am learning with Brazil? Yup the struggle is not over.  First and foremost.. No copious notes from Elder Nelson because our devotional with an apostle was canceled. We fasted to prepare and everything. But the buses and the police decided to stop functioning for the day. (I did not know that was possible). So the missionaries from the different parts of Brazil could not arrive. And without police officers in the streets President was worried about our safety so we had to spend our whole P-day in our apartment. I cooked a big meal for the other girls and napped for basically the first time on my mission because there was not much to do. I am worried for the chaos that world cup will bring to this already louco city. 

Then... I was making omelettes one morning. I had sautéed some vegetables, cracked the first egg. Then the second... Yeah totally, completely rotten. There are not words to describe how awful it smelled. I vowed that I will not eat Brazillian eggs again and the other sisters laughed and laughed. Apparently this is normal? Yeah had no idea.

I am learning that Vilia Sonia is a totally different from Campo Limpo. The work here is not easy and our investigators are having a difficult time keeping their commitments (scriptures, church, prayers). It is a shame, really, because this process is so simple and fail-proof. When the people we teach take the time to read the Book of Mormon with real intent and pray about the things they are reading and come to church they recieve the confirmation that we promise. When they are slackers they can´t expect to have the same results. 

For example: this week we taught the boyfriend of a 16-year-old member in our ward. I guess they have been dating quite some time, secretly, but the parents finally discovered. I am not exactly sure the details, but I am thinking that the parents are heavily involved with his new-found interest to hear our message. After our lesson I can see why. Talk about public display of affection. yuckk  During our lesson, I asked the girl, Gabi, to talk a little about the Book of Mormon and what it means to her. She starred blankly, and finally told us that while her family reads the scriptures every day they have no significe in her life. We asked... ``have you taken the time to read and pray for yourself?´´ Yeah, as we thought, she had not. I am learning that conversion is a process that each person needs to go through on their own. Faith is precious and needs to be feed and cared for. And though we are all different, Moroni´s promise stands firm. We can know these things for ourselves. 

We gave the talks in sacrament meeting and as always I was pretty nervous. We each took a lesson and I talked about the first vision. I had written and rewritten my talk exactly how I wanted it. But when I started I realized that I did not need my papers! I was able to speak from my heart, in Portuguese. I guess I do it many times every day in lessons but in front of my big chic ward is a little different. But I think it went really well! I have always admired the people who can give talks and that was one of my goals for the mission so I am happy that I am making progress!

This week we had an incredible ward activity!! (things people never say) The elders from our district planned it and we brought our recent converts and investigators. It was a pizza night complete with music (the kind on the radio!)  and dancing and lots and lots of pizza. President gave a great talk about missionary work and related well with all the visitors. He told the story about how he found the chruch. A friend invited him to a Valentine´s dance. After he asked his friend, ``Ì really like this church and I would like to visit, but how much do I have to pay?´´ Little did he know missionaries practically beg to have visitors! It was so great to see the members,  less actives and investigators having a great time together! Ward activities are essential here! All the members brought a different Italian masterpiece to share and our recent convert, Dos Anjos, won the award for the most creative--- pumpkin and meat. It was actually incredible. 

All in all, a really great week. We knocked a lot of doors and got yelled at a little but we laughed so so much. At one door we explained that we had a message and a gift about Jesus Christ. He responded, rudely I might add, ``I am Christian. Not interested.´´ As we walked away Sister Dantas whispered...```exactly. A DVD about Christ. Clean. Your. Ears.´´ I laughed and laughed. I plan to use that expression always. 

I am happy and well! Love you! 

Sister Lauren


p.s. Looks like you are busy. But thank you for your letter! and the beauty package. I am using the shirt today. And the necklace is so chic. I love the salmon skirt but I am not sure I can wear it here. So beautiful but a little short and tight for a missionary! We will see. But I love you so much. Thank you for everything! 

I will probably get it tomorrow when I get my new companion. Thanks! I have so many pictures to send but the new place we go to is really terrible for pictures. So I will probably send them the old fasioned way. in the mail. 

Tchau!

No comments:

Post a Comment