Brazil Bound

Brazil Bound
December 2013-June 2015
Sao Paulo West Mission

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

November 4, 2014-Living the Missionary Life!

Hey Family!

I hope the week was wonderful! It was definitely... eventful for me. 

First off, as you all have probably heard, I reached an important mission mark this week... and learned why every returned missionary HATES dogs. As we were ever so dilligently handing out invitations for the open house we are planning, a random vicious dog was sleeping behind a huge dumpster and as I went to knock on the door he attacked... Yeah not to pretty. A little blood and teeth marks to show for the experience. But thankfully, Paulinho came to my rescue and took my immediately to the hospital. Tomorrow I will go back for rabies shots. That should be an adventure...

In other news, we laugh... a lot here in Cotia. For lots of reasons, but we are teaching some people that keep us laughing non stop. 
1. Sebastian. The classic chill old man. He is about 60 and always sitting on his front porch. We invited him, like everyone else we see, to come to church with us. He got pretty excited and told us he would most certainly be there. But he seemed a little out of it and we thought he probably would not remember the convo in the morning. So much so that we almost forgot to stop by Sunday morning. But, when everything fell through we thought of him. And guess what? He was ready with even freshly pressed clothes!! 
So this week we visited him and taught him how to pray. He seemed a little confused so I told him we would take it step by step and told him to repeat after me...
me: Pai Celestial
him: Pai Sebastian...
hmmm I guess that is a start...

2. Sofia... A little girl 8 year old girl we met on the wway hom from a pretty exhausting day. She absolutely lovvedd the fact that I speak English and matter a factly told us that she too speaks a foreign language. French. Then she began talking about her foregin travles using a whole lot of glottle sounds. Yep Sof... Sounds like French to me! After she began helping us with our last few contacts inviting everyone to our church! What a keeper

3. João... Another old grandpa. With lots of entertaining questions.. He told us that he will be baptized. He will. He just has to resolve a few doubts. The thing is, they usually have exactly nothing to do with what we are teaching. For example, we got through teaching what I thought was a very touching lesson on the first vision. We even showed a picture. When he said ``ohhh now I see. Yep understand perfectly. It was the light of the SUN that helped him see these things!´´ hmmm close. real close guess. 

4. Thiago... Actually, we took Thiago and his little sisters to our ward party last week. Seems like a real nice kid. Only one problem, I am pretty sure he is playing for the other team. (as mom would say) We had our doubts from the beginning. He is a hairdresser and has the dramatic hand gestures down to a T. He even told us about a ``special person´´ in his life but refused to disclose a name. But we knew with surety when Sister Santos´s camera went missing for a few minutes and we found him taking scowling model shots of his two sisters in some treee. He got super excited and said, Sisters, I found my calling in life! I will now be a photographer!!´´

But we had a few miracles! Our angel, Ana Lucia came to church this week with her entire family! And we had an incredible lesson. The spirit was so strong that at times I felt like I was reading a script. And, the wonderful woman we met last week Luana showed up at church! Actually a different ward because ours is starting in the afternoon right now. But she went alone and loved every minute of it!!! 
And, on our way home one night we found a man named Alexandre. He got super excited when he saw us and immediately invited us in. Turns outhis wife, Joyce was baptized years back but fell away for whatever reason. But she remembers everything. Seminary and young womens. And now she only wants to return and raise her son in the church. So we re teaching the whole family and it makes for lots of special moments. 

I am happy and well! Thanks for all the birthday love!

xoxo 

Sister Lauren
                                                                                                 sofia

                                                                                         fossils





                                                                 halloween activity with President

                                                                                       picking blackberries
p.s. We were going door to door inviting people to our upcoming activity and this vicious dog was sleeping behind a huge trash can so we didn´t see him... well until it was too late... He attacked me pretty quick and I had to rip my leg out of his teeth. Then he went for my bag. But it came away unscratched. Indestructible that bag.. I bought sooo much medicine. For pain and infection. And tomorrow I will go back to the hospital to get a rabies shot. We went back to ask the owner if the dog has been vaccinated but she got super mad at us... yeah a little messed up. needless to say, the dumb dog will live on. But noo... definitely was not crying. Just a little stunned. I had to be brave of my companion would have fallen apart. She was pretty scared.  I managed to make a few contacts on the way back. I think people felt bad for me with my gushing wound. It will probably leave quite the ugly scar. Right now I have every one of his teeth imprinted on my leg. Awesome...

p.s.s He was chained up so I just had to get out of the way. Paulinho said that we needed to call you so that you wouldn´t send a taser to kill the dog! haha but no I´m good. Thanks! And I got my package! I will open it this saturday! I am excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment